Do you like a small-town community and living by the lake? Consider buying in Haldimand! In this blog I will highlight the differences between buying in the Haldimand area so that you know what to look for, and to look out for!
Why Living in Haldimand is Different:
1. Waterfront properties: great for people who want to enjoy season boating, water sports and fishing. *When looking for a home, watch for weathering and erosion. Ex: on Lake Erie, you should have a great break wall system is in place. If on the Grand River: be knowledgeable of the flood plains and overflow depending on the winter.
2. Small town shopping: small shops, good parking, and not too busy as opposed to the hustle and bustle of city life. If you like to stroll, window shop, and make conversation, downtown is the place to go.
3. Great restaurants: to name a few, Deb’s Cuisine is known for its prime rib- WOW! Bob's Place is known for its family-friendly restaurant. Thirsty Mate has the BEST Lake Erie perch. YUM!
4. Historic charm: a great example of this is the Cottonwood Mansion (I'm actually hosting my first grand baby’s shower there!), and the Ruthven historic site where they have live reenactments.
These are just a few reasons why I love it here. If you are interested in buying a home with some sort of historic charm, you need to watch for these red flags:
- Nob and tube wiring. This old style of wiring may cause difficulties getting home insurance. If you’re wondering why send me an email and I’ll give you the long story of why this is important.
- Designated properties have certain rules and guidelines for the home or property. This could mean that you cannot alter the structural appearance of the home because it is deemed historic. Be sure to look into this before making any decisions!
Just like any place, Haldimand isn't for everybody- but if you’re feeling like it is for you… contact me! I’m your Haldimand county expert, serving Dunnville, Cayuga, Caledonia, Selkirk, Fisherville, Nanticoke, Jarvis, and Hagersville. For more real estate advice and support for the Haldimand area, give me a call, 1-905-229-9500.
Elsie Jungas REALTOR
#dunnville #haldimand #hagersville #jarvis #fisherville #selkirk #caledonia #cayuga